Geriatric care, offered by Drs. Tomas Rios and Nicolin Neal of Rios Healthcare Associates in Houston, TX, provides important health benefits for senior citizens. Regular visits to the doctor help older patients manage chronic diseases,...
Geriatric care, offered by Drs. Tomas Rios and Nicolin Neal of Rios Healthcare Associates in Houston, TX, provides important health benefits for senior citizens. Regular visits to the doctor help older patients manage chronic diseases, cope with memory impairment conditions, and address quality of life issues.
How geriatric care could help you or a loved one
Changes in your health may be unavoidable as you grow older, no matter how carefully you've cared for your body throughout your life. Geriatric care can help you navigate many effects of aging, including:
- Weaker Muscles, Bones and Joints: Muscle and bone mass decrease as you age, increasing your risk of strain, sprains, broken bones and other injuries. Your geriatric care doctor can recommend exercises that will strengthen your muscles and bones, discuss helpful supplements and dietary choices, and offer treatment or medications for osteoporosis, arthritis and other conditions.
- Movement Issues: Arthritis and stiff muscles and joints can make it difficult to shop, clean the house, walk the dog or carry out many tasks that were once easy. Unfortunately, the less you move, the more difficult movement may become. Eventually, you may find yourself unable to walk, bend or even get up if you fall. Geriatric care can help you keep moving and retain your independence.
- Sudden Illnesses: Even seemingly minor illnesses can cause serious health complications when you're older. Geriatric doctors understand how quickly illnesses can progress and closely monitor patients who are ill.
- Chronic Diseases and Illnesses: Chronic illnesses affect many of us as we age. In fact, about 80 percent of older adults have at least one chronic disease and 77 percent have two chronic diseases, according to the National Council on Aging. Your Houston doctor will help you manage diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, asthma, COPD, arthritis and other chronic diseases.
- Prescription Drug Interactions and Side Effects: The likelihood of drug interactions, side effects and accidental overdoses increase when you're taking medications for multiple conditions. Your geriatric doctor will carefully coordinate your medications to help you avoid side effects and medication interactions.
- Memory Issues: Geriatric doctors also help patients manage the symptoms of dementia and Alzheimer's disease and provide information on resources and services in the community.
Could you or a family member benefit from geriatric care? Drs. Rios and Neal offer compassionate, friendly care in the Houston, TX, area. Call them at Rios Healthcare Associates at (832) 323-9230 to schedule an appointment.