Wrinkles aren't the only effects of growing older. Aging can cause a variety of changes to your health and wellbeing. Fortunately, your Houston, TX, internal medicine physicians, Dr. Tomas Rios, and Dr. Nicolin Neal of Rios Healthcare Associates offer services that will help you protect your health.
How aging affects your health
As you grow older, you're more likely to experience these changes:
- Muscle and Joint Issues: Age can cause your bones to shrink and becomes less dense. At the same time, your muscles become smaller and less flexible. These issues can lead to problems with balance, pain, stiffness, and broken bones.
- Hearing and Vision Problems: The muscles that control your pupils don't work quite as well, which makes it difficult to see well in low light. Aging increases your risk of cataracts, glaucoma and age-related macular degeneration. Your hearing may also decline due to changes in the inner ear.
- Chronic Health Diseases and Conditions: Older people are more likely to develop diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis, heart disease, dementia, depression, and other diseases and conditions. Eighty-five percent of people over 65 have at least one chronic condition, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, while 60% have two or more conditions.
Scheduling a health visit at the Houston, TX, office offers these benefits:
- Prompt Identification of Health Issues: Some health problems, like high blood pressure or high cholesterol, may not cause any noticeable symptoms but can still harm your health. Screenings and tests provided by your physician help you ensure that you're diagnosed as soon as possible if you do have a health issue and receive the treatment you need to stay healthy.
- Management of Chronic Health Problems: Since chronic health conditions can worsen as you age, it's important to see a doctor who understands the age-related effects of the condition. Depending on the condition, your doctor can updates your medications, recommend other treatments, or suggest lifestyle changes.
- A More Healthy Lifestyle: During geriatric health visits, your doctor will discuss ways you can maintain your health as you age. He or she may provide advice on weight loss, diet, exercise, or mental health.
Make good health a priority. Call your internal medicine physicians in Houston, TX, Dr. Rios and Dr. Neal of Rios Healthcare Associates, at (832) 323-9230 to schedule your appointment.