Posts for tag: Preventive Care
Preventive healthcare involves taking specific measures to prevent disease. There many factors that can contribute to disease development, including genetics, environmental factors, lifestyle choices, and disease agents. Preventive care differs from diagnostic care in that the purpose of diagnostic care is to look for a specific disease or condition based on the signs and symptoms that the patient is experiencing.
Dr. Tomas G. Rios and Dr. Nicolin Neal are internal medicine specialists at Rios Healthcare Associates located in Houston, TX. They offer quality healthcare services to Houston residents and can help you will all your preventive care needs.
The Importance of Preventive Care
There are two reasons why preventive care is important. Firstly, it keeps you healthy and lowers your risk of major diseases such as heart disease, stroke, and diabetes. Secondly, it can significantly reduce your medical expenses.
Your doctor will recommend preventive measures based on the current condition of your health. All Marketplace Insurance Plans cover:
- Vaccinations at the appropriate age including:
- hepatitis A and B
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV)
- One-time abdominal aortic aneurysm for non-smoking males
- Mammograms and breast cancer screening
- STI screening and counseling
- Tuberculosis screening
- Alcohol dependence screening and counseling
- Blood pressure and cholesterol screening
- Colorectal cancer screening
- Diet counseling
- Diabetes type 2 screening
- HIV screening
Even if you have any of the chronic conditions listed above, your doctor can still recommend steps that will help you manage your symptoms and maintain the best quality of life. Your health care provider will tell you when you need to schedule appointments for preventive care screening.
If you’re located in Houston and you’re looking for more information on preventive healthcare, call Dr. Rios today at (832) 323-9230.
Preventative care is the first step against serious dental issues like gum disease and deep cavities that may result in tooth loss. Dr. Tomas Rios and Nicolin Neal of Houston, TX, provide preventative measures at their office.
Here are a few procedures and tips:
- Probably the most straight forward and simple tip is brushing your teeth at least twice a day. Brushing your teeth reduces cavities and plaque buildup from teeth surfaces. The best way to brush teeth is to use a soft-bristled tooth brush and fluoride-containing toothpaste. Brush in a circular motion, especially at the edge of gums, and hold your brush at a 40-degree angle to clean hard-to-reach areas.
- Another vital tip that many ignore is flossing teeth. Flossing eliminates food debris that can get stuck between teeth and under gums. This preventative measure, like brushing, prevents acid-producing bacteria from causing cavities that may infect deeper tooth layers and leave patients needing root canal therapy.
- Your Houston dentist has hygienists who perform professional dental cleanings twice a year. This is when a dental hygienist removes plaque from tooth surfaces, between teeth and from under gum tissue using special instruments. Professional cleanings are meant to prevent serious diseases like gum disease or periodontitis.
- It's also advised to visit your dentist for regular dental exams. This is when the doctor examines your teeth visually and with the use of x-rays. Dental exams enable your dentist to diagnose diseases during earlier stages when they're easier to treat.
- Maintain a healthy diet. Avoid sugary foods and beverages that are used by bacteria to grow. If you stick to fruits and vegetables instead, this will help remove plaque off the surface your teeth. And don't forget to drink plenty of water that'll help wash away food debris to prevent cavities.
Would you like to know more about preventative dental care? The best way to learn more is to contact Dr. Tomas Rios and Dr. Nicolin Neal of Houston, TX, to learn more. Just give him a call at (832) 323-9230 today!
Preventing diseases and detecting diseases early, if they occur, are important to living a healthy life. The long term goal of preventative care is to prevent diseases and/or identify and treat them early to reduce ill health effects. Led by Dr. Tomas Rios and Dr. Nicolin Neal, Rios Healthcare Associates (located in Houston, TX). They provide a full range of internal medicine and geriatric services to the patients they serve. Here are five reasons why preventive care is so important.
1. Screen for Diseases
Living with a condition such as heart disease or diabetes can be very difficult. But there’s an easy way to chart a course for better health and possibly avoid such illnesses: preventive health screenings. Screening tests are an important part of annual checkups. Even before risks are identified and symptoms are recognized, screening tests help to detect illnesses in their early stages. Many diseases are highly treatable when detected early.
2. Prevent Health Problems
Annual checkups allow your healthcare provider to review any changes that have occurred over the last year and encourage healthy choices. Your doctor can help you identify risk factors that increase your risk of diseases and offer advice on how to manage them. Your doctor is a valuable asset in your goal of remaining as healthy as you can be.
3. Update Vaccinations
Vaccinations are not just for children. It's also important for adults to receive recommended immunizations to protect against serious, preventable diseases. All adults need to be immunized against tetanus and diphtheria. Depending on age and health, some people may also need protection against hepatitis, influenza, measles, rubella, chickenpox, and streptococcal pneumonia.
4. Advice & Guidance
Annual checkups gives your doctor the opportunity to discuss and counsel you on aspects of your lifestyle that are affecting your health. Topics that may be covered include injury prevention, nutrition, exercise, substance abuse, and safe sex practices. This counseling is an important part of the exam and it's vital that you listen to your doctor and discuss the obstacles and changes that you face.
5. Save Money on Healthcare
Preventive care doesn't just save lives- it also saves money. Health care is very expensive. A disease can take a financial toll on your family because of medical bills and long-term disability. When preventive health care services are combined with a lifestyle that is focused on wellness, significant savings can be realized.
It’s time to take charge of your health! Call Rios Healthcare Associates at (832) 323-9230 today to schedule an appointment for your annual checkup in Houston, TX. It's no secret that healthy living and preventive care not only adds years to your life, but also improve the quality of your life. We want you to live an extraordinary life!