Posts for: February, 2020
Women’s health care focuses on the diagnosis, treatment, and management of various conditions and diseases that not only impact your physical wellbeing, but your emotional health as well. Healthy habits are the most effective way to prevent all sorts of health issues and live life more fully. However, healthy living might take a back seat to your busy schedule, work, errands, household chores, etc.
Here at Rios Healthcare Associates, PLLC, in Houston, TX, we understand all of this, which is why we offer women’s health care services under the management of Dr. Tomas Rios and Dr. Nicolin Neal. Meanwhile, you can take these practical steps towards a healthier and happier life.
Eat a Healthy Diet
A healthy diet should include plenty of fresh veggies and fruits, whole grains, fresh fish, fiber-rich foods, low-fat dairy, lean cuts of poultry and meat, and healthy fats from olive oil, seeds, or nuts.
Just Keep On Moving
Aside from helping you maintain a healthy weight, tons of studies have also proven that exercise can help decrease your risk of developing chronic health issues such as heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol, and cancer among many others.
Stress can come from a multitude of things and can manifest in many different forms, including:
- Stomach problems
- High blood pressure
- Back pain
- Sleeping difficulties
- Sudden weight loss or gain
- Sleeping issues
- Relationship conflicts
Fortunately, you can take control of your stress through relaxation techniques like meditating, exercising, doing yoga, or going to therapy.
Take Control of Your Sexual Health
Sexual health needs of women span decades and cover a broad range of issues including safe sexual practices, preventing unplanned pregnancies, and addressing a reduced sexual appetite. A healthy sex life can reduce your risk of heart attacks and high blood pressure and improve your stress levels.
Take Charge of Your Breast Health
According to the American Cancer Society, breast cancer is among the most common kinds of cancer that affect women in the US. That being said, the ACS recommends that women should start receiving annual mammograms once they turn 40. Here at Rios Healthcare Associates, PLLC, in Houston, TX, we offer mammograms as part of our breast care services.
Have Regular Doctor Checkups
Besides gynecological and breast checkups, you should likewise go to your doctor regularly for general screening and health exams. In general, you should have your blood, blood pressure, cholesterol, and glucose levels checked among others. Done regularly, these preventive tests could help you keep on top of your overall health.
Ready to Take Control of Your Health?
Call Rios Healthcare Associates, PLLC, in Houston, TX, at (832) 323-9230 to schedule a visit with Dr. Tomas Rios or Dr. Nicolin Neal. We also welcome walk-ins.
Geriatric care, offered by Drs. Tomas Rios and Nicolin Neal of Rios Healthcare Associates in Houston, TX, provides important health benefits for senior citizens. Regular visits to the doctor help older patients manage chronic diseases, cope with memory impairment conditions, and address quality of life issues.
How geriatric care could help you or a loved one
Changes in your health may be unavoidable as you grow older, no matter how carefully you've cared for your body throughout your life. Geriatric care can help you navigate many effects of aging, including:
- Weaker Muscles, Bones and Joints: Muscle and bone mass decrease as you age, increasing your risk of strain, sprains, broken bones and other injuries. Your geriatric care doctor can recommend exercises that will strengthen your muscles and bones, discuss helpful supplements and dietary choices, and offer treatment or medications for osteoporosis, arthritis and other conditions.
- Movement Issues: Arthritis and stiff muscles and joints can make it difficult to shop, clean the house, walk the dog or carry out many tasks that were once easy. Unfortunately, the less you move, the more difficult movement may become. Eventually, you may find yourself unable to walk, bend or even get up if you fall. Geriatric care can help you keep moving and retain your independence.
- Sudden Illnesses: Even seemingly minor illnesses can cause serious health complications when you're older. Geriatric doctors understand how quickly illnesses can progress and closely monitor patients who are ill.
- Chronic Diseases and Illnesses: Chronic illnesses affect many of us as we age. In fact, about 80 percent of older adults have at least one chronic disease and 77 percent have two chronic diseases, according to the National Council on Aging. Your Houston doctor will help you manage diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, asthma, COPD, arthritis and other chronic diseases.
- Prescription Drug Interactions and Side Effects: The likelihood of drug interactions, side effects and accidental overdoses increase when you're taking medications for multiple conditions. Your geriatric doctor will carefully coordinate your medications to help you avoid side effects and medication interactions.
- Memory Issues: Geriatric doctors also help patients manage the symptoms of dementia and Alzheimer's disease and provide information on resources and services in the community.
Could you or a family member benefit from geriatric care? Drs. Rios and Neal offer compassionate, friendly care in the Houston, TX, area. Call them at Rios Healthcare Associates at (832) 323-9230 to schedule an appointment.
The field of men’s health emphasizes both preventive care and the treatment of chronic or acute conditions. Preventive care can include regular medical checkups and taking proactive measures to prevent certain health concerns, such as heart attack or stroke. Here at Rios Healthcare Associates in Houston, men’s health care is provided by our experienced physicians, Dr. Tomas Rios and Dr. Nicolin Neal, who both specialize in internal medicine.
Preventive medical care should be a vital component of your health care regimen. Preventive care involves seeing a doctor regularly to assess your overall health. Doing so makes it possible to detect potential health concerns early on before they progress and become more serious. Most health conditions are easier to treat when diagnosed early. The doctors at our office in Houston can determine how frequently you need to come in for a checkup.
Regular medical checkups also allow your doctor to monitor your overall health and identify unexpected changes or symptoms that might have developed since your last appointment. Some conditions, such as high cholesterol or high blood pressure, might have no obvious symptoms. Accordingly, the only way some men become aware of the problem is because it was identified during a physical exam and checkup as part of their preventive medical care.
In addition to seeing the doctor regularly for a routine physical exam and overall health assessment, preventive care can also include various health screenings. For instance, men’s health care screenings often include tests to check for prostate, colon, or testicular cancer as those are conditions that frequently affect males.
Heart screenings are also important for assessing a man’s risk for developing cardiovascular problems that could lead to heart attack or stroke, for instance. Men who are identified as having a moderate to high risk for developing cardiovascular issues can work with one of our doctors to implement specific lifestyle changes that can reduce their risk. Lifestyle changes might include incorporating more exercise into the daily or weekly routine, dietary changes, and stress reduction.
Time for a Checkup? Call Us
Preventive medical care that includes regular checkups and health screenings can play a vital role in helping you maintain your best health. For men’s health care services, schedule an appointment with Dr. Rios or Dr. Neal by calling Rios Healthcare Associates at (832) 323-9230.
Here at Rios Healthcare Associates in Houston, TX, Drs. Tomas Rios and Nicolin Neal are able to expertly treat both acute and chronic diseases. Unsure of the difference between these two categories? Read on to learn more.
More about Illnesses
As people age, they become more susceptible to different health conditions, such as the flu, arthritis, and heart failure. This is because our bodies, organs, and immune systems become increasingly weaker over time, causing more frequent bouts of illness.
Conditions are categorized as chronic or acute—but what is the difference?
- Acute illnesses usually develop suddenly and don't last long, a few days or weeks.
- Chronic conditions develop over time and may worsen over time, which takes months to years.
What are the causes of each?
- Acute conditions are caused by a virus or infection, an injury resulting from some sort of accident, or the misuse of drugs/medications. These conditions are severe and sudden in onset, but don't last very long.
- Chronic conditions are a result of social, emotional, environmental, and genetic factors, as well as unhealthy behaviors like poor nutrition, inadequate physical activity, or smoking. As people age, they become more susceptible to chronic conditions.
What are the symptoms and treatment options?
- Acute diseases require urgent or short-term care and become better once treated. Some acute illness go away with time and people soon recover.
- Chronic conditions develop over time and cannot be cured, only controlled or managed. You can work with your Houston physicians to create a health care plan.
Examples of Acute and Chronic Conditions
- Broken bones
- Common cold and flu
- Heart attacks
- Respiratory infection
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Diabetes and heart disease
- High blood pressure and high cholesterol
Concerned? Give Us a Call
If you'd like to contact Drs. Tomas Rios or Nicolin Neal for a consultation, then don't hesitate to call Rios Healthcare Associates, PLLC today by dialing (832) 323-9230.